The Q&A Archives: Camellia Sasanqua for hedge

Question: I am planning to plant camellia sasanqua for the hedge of our new house. We would like to keep the hedge about 4-5' high. I heard Yuletide was a compact plant, but according to your catalogue, it will grow up to 10'. What is a good choice for low hedge? It is a shade to partial sun area, with acid soil. I was looking at Yuletide, White Dove, Winter's Fire Ice Angels, Little Pearl, JeanMay, etc., but open to any suggestion.

Answer: Yuletide is the most compact camellia on your list and can be pruned to maintain a 5' tall hedge. It is a slow grower so you won't have to worry about it growing out of hand in a season or two. Simply shear it back on an annual basis and it should grow into a handsome hedge for you. Enjoy!