The Q&A Archives: First Love Gardenia (grafted)

Question: Planted subject plant in Fall; half day sun and watered once a week. Also fertilized a few times with product for acid loving plants.
I notice a number of leaves turning yellow. Is that normal for this variety or is it an indication of soemthing I can correct?

Answer: It's normal for the oldest leaves to turn yellow and then drop, especially at this time of year. The shrub has finished using the leaves and after they drop, new leaves will develop. If both the oldest and the newest leaves are turning yellow, it can indicate over- or under-watering, poor drainage, or a need for more frequent feeding. Apply fertilizer in amounts and with the frequency recommended on the label and be sure to water deeply as often as necessary to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. Best wishes with your gardenia!