The Q&A Archives: Choisya T. Sundance

Question: My Choisa T. 'Sundance' started looking burned late last summer. It is in front of the house faceing South so it gets a lot of sun but when I got it they said that would be ok. I made sure it got water during the summer. What do you recommend?

Answer: Choisya ternata 'Sundance'is hardy to about 10F and grows best in full sunshine, but I wonder if the planting site has reflected sun and heat? If so, that would explain the burned leaves. Burned leaf tips can also indicate over fertilizing, lack of water, or can be the result of soggy soils due to poor drainage. I think I'd either move the plant to a spot where there is no reflected heat, making sure to plant it in well amended soils to ensure good drainage. Best wishes with your 'Sundance'!