The Q&A Archives: Controlling Ground Ivy In The Lawn

Question: What is the best way to control ground ivy in the lawn?

Answer: Ground ivy is a gardening nightmare. I have covered the stuff in selected herbicides like Round-Up and I swear I heard it laugh at me. There are a number of ways you can eliminate the weeds from your lawn. I think the easiest way is to cover the patch with black plastic for 3-4 weeks...then dig out the dead area and reseed with appropriate lawn seed. Because it really isn't the season to be planting grass seed in WV, you could leave the black plastic down in those areas until the spring when you can plant seed. That way you are sure to kill the weeds. You could also remove all plants by hand (which is of course, a lot of work) and then reseed the area in the spring. Just about anything you do to eradicate weeds in your lawn is going to leave a baldspot or a brown area for a little while until new grass can grow in that area.