The Q&A Archives: Re cutting back candytuft,transplanting iris

Question: When and how much of my candytuft plant do I cut back? One spring I trimmed it and it did not bloom that year. But it looks so bad now with lots of brown leaves and stems.Can I transplant iris in the spring?

Answer: Candytuft is not cut back until after it blooms, then you would shear off about a third of the plant to remove the faded flowers and encourage fresh new growth. If you cut it off now you will prevent it from flowering this spring.

This is a fairly undemanding plant although it does need a well drained soil for best results over the winter. You would also want to avoid overfertilizing it, and not fertilize in the fall as this could lead to late season growth that does not harden suggiciently before the cold winter weather sets in.

Iris can be transplanted in the spring, however doing so may prevent it from flowering this year. Most gardeners wait until late summer to transplant iris.