The Q&A Archives: Cape Honeysuckle as a Patio tree

Question: I just purchased an Orange Cape Honeysuckle which is in the shape of a small tree. Do I have to keep this in a pot as a patio tree or can I plant it in the ground as a small tree? Also, right now the long, thin

Answer: Cape honeysuckle is often trained as a small or "patio" tree. The trunk will need support for a few years until it grows strong enough to support the top. It will require constant pruning to train into a tree but as long as you keep it pruned, it will look quite attractive. It's difficult to predict just how broad and tall it will become; it depends upon the training. Once the top has reached the height you desire, pruning will keep it within bounds. I expect something about 6' high and 4' wide would be within reason for a Cape honeysuckle. Enjoy!