The Q&A Archives: Star jasmine need pruning in spring??

Question: Planted a pink, mauve flowered star jasmine last year. Not sure if its alive or not. Not sure if it should be cut back to lower level or not. Looks like leaves are dry of course in spring. Didn't know it was one that can be pruned and still come back. Doesn't feel or look woody all over. Just near bottom. I have talked to her but it did get cold this last winter. Covered her with pine needles. Hope you can help. I love my jasmine. Thanks for any and all help. Jan Taylor

Answer: Pink star jasmine is hardy only to the low 20's so if your winter temperatures dropped below that, I'm afraid your plant is gone. If temperatures didn't drop that low, the roots may still be alive. I'd prune away the winter damaged tops and wait to see if the roots will send up new shoots. If so, you can enjoy your plant this spring and summer; if not, and you want to replace the plant, keep it in a container which you bury in the ground over the summer months. When weather cools, dig the pot up and take your beloved plant indoors for the winter. Best wishes with your garden!