The Q&A Archives: What trees would make a good screen?

Question: I live on a golfcourse. There is a small patio, a pine tree wooded area that has 12 azaleas, a pond then the green of the second hole. I have a 6' holly that starts the screen I am trying to create. Our houses are only 15 feet apart so i am looking to create a screen providing privacy for my patio. I have been thinking about a Needlepoint Holly and or a Little Gem Magnolia and a couple of Fortunei Tea Olives. Do you have any suggestions on any other types of evergreen trees? I like flowering plants and/or plants with berries. I have thougth about lugustra but I think they are too plain.
Thank you for your help.

Answer: Crape Myrtle is a natural for the site you describe. Leyland cypress gets really big but makes a good screen. Carolina Cherry Laurel 'Bright N Tight' is another good choice and is more compact in growth habit. I also like the 'Little Gem' Magnolia for color and winter interest. Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your landscape!