The Q&A Archives: Lawn alternative

Question: I have a client who is remolding her house and put stepping stones around her pool and wants to put grass in between the stones. I told her that when they cut the lawn it would get into the pool and be very messy. Because the General contractor already installed the stepping stones around the pool I want to know is there a good dwarf grass that I can use that can take full sun and stays green. Like a dwarf mondo or sometype of Moss. Thanks, Carlos Salinas

Answer: There are only a few plants that are low-growing enough to fit in the spaces between pavers without creeping up high enough to trip you as you walk. Thymus praecox acticus (Wooly Thyme) is a first choice for a tough, sun loving plant, and Baby's Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii) is a second choice. Both plants will thrive in small spaces and both will bloom, adding extra interest to your footpath. I have both plants in my garden and the Thyme is the most resilient of the two. Crushed Thyme leaves have a wonderful fragrance, too, so stepping on the leaves is encouraged!