The Q&A Archives: Blue Italian Cypress trees are turning brown

Question: Dear Monvoria,

I had a bunch of Blue Italian Cypress tree on both side of my house.
I love them and great as a natural screen.
I planted them about 6 - 7 years ago and doing great until last winter the trees on my Northwest side of the house are turning brown from the bottom up . I did watering and gave plant food, mulch etc. Just taking good care of them diligently.Please help me, if you have an idea what caused this problem ? I don't want to lose them .
Thank you for your help,

evie smith

Answer: Evie,

That browning in summer may be due to mites. In winter it could be poor soil drainage causing soggy conditions. Unless you watered a lot soggy soil would not have happen in this past dry winter season. Other causes can be needle blight diseases, bagworms, or damage from weed and feed fertilizers applied to the turf nearby.

I suggest you take some up close and distant photos of the plants to your county Extension Office, or the Travis County Office (512) 854-9600, and see if with photos to look at they can provide a more specific diagnosis.