The Q&A Archives: Juniper

Question: Hello. I've just started to plant the low growing juniper at my parkway after killing off the grass last summer. I purchased several 1 gallon containers from a grower to get started. These plants are so small. It looks like they were just transplanted from a 6 pack. They suggested planting spaces of 1 1/2' feet to not more than 3' feet apart depending on how quickly I wanted coverage. I repeated this to my gardener and returned home from work to see that they are about 1' apart from each other and 1' from the surrounding sidewalk as well as curb. Isn't this too close? I guess I thought that most of the planting would have been within the center of the parkway and plants would be planted in something like a zigzag pattern. Thanks for your response!!! Lydia

Answer: I'm a little concerned that your junipers are planted much too close to one another and much too close to the sidewalk and curb. You didn't specify which low-growing juniper you've planted but most will spread anywhere from 3-12'. Even if you have the smallest cultivar, you'll be spending a lot of time trimming them back if they're only 1' from the sidewalk and curb. I'd dig them up and center them in the parking strip so they have some room to grow. Best wishes with your junipers!