The Q&A Archives: self pollinating fruit trees

Question: How can I tell if a tree is self pollinating or not? some of the trees have descriptive lables on them with all required information others have tags with basicinformation and a note to go to homedepot .com for more information. but it's not easy to find .

Answer: Without knowing which tree(s) you are considering I can't tell you specifically. However, the following web page from the University of Illinois extension provides some general fruit tree growing information followed by a list of varieties and their pollination needs.

You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser in order to make it work correctly.

If that doesn't cover it for you, you could contact your local county extension, ask your professionally trained store staff, or use the Q&A form again. We'll be glad to help!