The Q&A Archives: Rubarb in Louisiana

Question: If I order rhubarb plants for my Northwest Louisiana garden will it grow, what should I do to keep it healthy and will it continue to grow annually?

Answer: It will be tough to have your rhubarb come back year after year in Louisiana. It is a cool weather crop that doesn't like the heat. It also need a winter cool period to rejuvenate itself. I fear that in Louisiana your winters are not cold and long enough. If you want to try, here's what to do. Find a fertile, well drained spot in your garden preferably in a spot that gets afternoon shade. Keep the plant well watered and fertilized with a few shovelfuls of compost yearly in spring. With a little luck, and cool weather, it should come back each year.<br><br>