The Q&A Archives: Dracaena

Question: I recently purchased a Monrovia Dracaena and while still in the pot it was knocked over in the wind and the entire foliage broke off at ground level. Will the plant regrow the foliage and if not can I root the broken top?

Answer: I'm so sorry! I know how disheartening that kind of accident can be. The base may resprout eventually from dormant buds along the stem. You can certainly try rooting the broken off tip. Trim the stem to about a foot or two long (depending on its overall size) and insert it into barely damp, sterile, soilless potting mix, stick it in far enough that it stays upright. Do not overwater or it may rot, the soil just needs to be barely damp. Keep it in a bright location but out of direct sun, keep it at warm room temperature, provide gentle bottom heat if possible, and maintain humidity. You should see roots in a couple of weeks if it is going to take. Sometimes you can also do stem cuttings, laying flat bits of stem on the soil surface but these take a long time and in my experience tend to rot before they root under home conditions. Here are some instructions if you are not familiar with the techniques. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

Good luck with your plant!