The Q&A Archives: Azalea Blooms

Question: I have a group of azaleas that are in good shape ( not dead ) that have not bloomed in 2 seasons. Will they ever bloom or do I need to replace them? What could I do to make them bloom? Thanks for your assisstance. Robby Wynn

Answer: Robby,

They should bloom if conditions are right. This means they need good light though not necessarily direct sun. They need good vigor as healthy foliage produces the carbohydrates needed to set blooms. Weak plants and plants in too much shade don't bloom well at all. I suggest you evaluate the amount of light they are getting and either prune some limbs above to allow more light in, or move the plants this fall. Fertilize them monthly from now until late summer with a product for acid loving plants. Keep the soil moist but not constantly saturated.