The Q&A Archives: Planting Clematis in a pot

Question: I just recently purchased a Clematis Henryi, and I wanted to make sure it is a perennial and if its best to plant it in a pot with a trellis, or to just plant in the ground with a trellis. I'm wanting to put it in front of our wood fence panel in the front of house. Can it just grow on the fence or do I need a trellis, or is a lattice ok? Also if I'm just now buying it do I already need to prune it hard since it is spring?

Answer: Stephanie,

That clematis is a perennial. It is marginal in your area as the summer heat is at the maximum of its heat zone tolerance. You can plant it in a pot but I suggest amending some soil with compost and planting it in the ground where the roots will stay cooler in summer. The ideal location is with the roots in a "forest floor environment" (shaded and mulched) and the tops in half to three quarter day (mostly morning) sunlight. It will grow on most any support that it can wind around. Don't prune it until next year if even then.