The Q&A Archives: Senna tree

Question: I am on my second year with my Senna tree, it is losing yellow leaves and has string bean type of growth off the branches. It was so incredible, please help me figure out what it needs!

thanks anita

Answer: Cassia senna is an evergreen tree and a member of the legume(pea) family. It's normal for evergreens to lose their oldest leaves periodically and new leaves will be produced later in the season. The sting bean type growth you see are the seed pods and are perfectly normal. These, too, will drop off as the tree begins to flower again. Senna trees are perfectly adaptable to a wide range of growing conditions and are quite drought tolerant once established. Be sure not to over water your tree (a deep soaking once each week is plenty) and don't fertilize it. I think it will flower and leaf out without problem later in the season. Enjoy!