The Q&A Archives: Natural fence

Question: I am looking to take down a wood fence separating my house and my neighbors home and would like to put up a hedge instead. I would like the shrubs to grow between 7-12 feet high, be very dense (acting as a natural fence), but only 2 feet wide (maximum). Ideally they would be some type of evergreen (flowering is optional) that can thrive in full sun to limited sun and not need alot of attention/pruning. Any ideas?

Answer: Anita,

That is a lot of specifications for any plant to fill. The most difficult is the narrow width. There are some really narrow evergreen junipers but you'd have to plant a lot really close together to get a hedge. There is also a yaupon that is very narrow but it tends to get more open in time and also would have to be planted en masse to get a solid hedge. If you can take a little more width you might like the effect of a clumping bamboo or perhaps a 'Bright N Tight' Cherry Laurel but it will take pruning to keep it narrow and dense. The only other option that comes to mind is to put in some type of wire fencing and plant an evergreen vine on it.