The Q&A Archives: Looking for a white flowering shrub for shady area

Question: I have a shady area under a live oak that gets very little direct sunlight. I am fair skinned and I can sit there all day long and not get burned. I have raised the canopy of the oak to about ten feet above ground and cannot raise it further without cutting off some major limbs. This has helped, but not enough. I would like some suggestions for flowering shrubs that will grow well and might help lighten things up. White or light pink flowers would be great. Do you have any suggestions? Where can I buy your suggestions?

Answer: Macouston,

Some possibilities include white blooming azaleas, white blooming hydrangeas, or white variegated plants such as Aztec grass and caladiums. An English dogwood may also have enough light to bloom acceptably.

Check out the following web site. It has a box for you to enter your zip code and will then give you a list of local retailers that carry Monrovia plants: