The Q&A Archives: Vesuvious Flowering Plum

Question: Please help! My Vesuvious flowering plum is dying and has a real bad bug. The leaves are turning brown and getting holes in them. Please, please help!

Answer: Prunus cerasifera 'Krauter Vesuvius', the purple leaf plum, has the darkest foliage of any of the flowering plum, a great contrast for any landscape. This Plum produces light pink flowers in early spring and rarely produces fruit. The Purple Leaf Plum is a deciduous tree growing to be 18 feet tall and 12 foot in width.

Sadly, this tree is susceptible to aphids, borers, scales, mealy bugs, tent caterpillars and many other insect pests. It's important to identify the pest before attempting to treat it. Collect a branch tip or two and place them in a plastic bag (hopefully you will have captured a few insects, as well). Take the sample to your local nursery or Master Gardener Clinic for identification of the problem and control options. With proper treatment I'm sure your tree will regain its health and beauty. Best wishes with your tree!