The Q&A Archives: Magnolia

Question: My 7-8 foot Magnolia tree was planted approximately 1 yr ago, did not blossom last year, is watered regularly & has the larger leaves.Some of the leaves on different branches are turning yellow, does this mean it is dying or needs something done? I am new to the area (GA) & can not find any info on what the problem might be.Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Bernice

Answer: Bernice,

It is normal for a magnolia to drop the older leaves on its branches in mid spring as new growth begins. Unless you are not watering it enough (dry roots) or watering too much (soggy root conditions) I would consider a little leaf drop normal and not worry about it. If the tree is getting plenty of sunlight it should start blooming again soon.