The Q&A Archives: How do I take care of a dome aster?

Question: I had a purple dome aster last year and it died. How do you take care of them? It was on the east side of house, about 5 feet away from the porch and not protected by a wall.

Answer: Purple dome aster is typically not a fussy plant. It likes full sun exposures. Was it getting at least 6 hours of sun? It grows in a wide range of soils. It takes moderate water. How is the soil drainage where you had it? Make sure it doesn't sit in overly wet soil, which would rot the roots. At the same time, it's not drought tolerant. Stick your finger into the soil and water when the top inch or two starts to dry. A layer of organic mulch, such as compost or chipped matter, will help maintain consistent soil moisture. I hope this info helps!