The Q&A Archives: Sprouting Avocado Pits

Question: I have four avocado pits. How do I grow them? Will they survive outdoors in my area? <br>question<br>is who do I go to to have our soil tested from our raised beds?<br>Thank You,<br> Susie Nolan

Answer: You can grow an interesting houseplant from your avocado pit. Take three toothpicks and insert them opposite of each other about halfway between the top (pointy end) and the bottom (flat end) of each pit. These will be used to suspend the pit in a glass of water. Place the skewered avocado pit in a glassful of water so the top is above the water and the bottom half is in the water. The pit will crack and grow roots and then send a shoot up out of the top. When the shoot develops two leaves, plant the pitin a pot with regular potting soil. It will continue to grow and provide nice greenery. The resulting plant will never produce avocados and will not survive outdoors in your area. But, it's a fun project.