The Q&A Archives: Red Maple Tree

Question: I have a Red Leaf Maple - sprigs are coming out near the the trunk but there is no leafing on the branches. We had a fairly hard freeze in March, is it possible the tree will not make it or should I cut it off and start over

Answer: Leisa,

Give it a little more time. The tree may leaf out in a few weeks. Such "trunk sprouting" is usually a sign of some major stress usually related to root injury, soil compaction, drought, etc. If you can identify why the tree is dying back and alleviate the problem it will have the best chance of recovering and redeveloping into an attractive, full-canopied tree. If it doesn't send out new foliage from the branches go ahead and cut them back to living growth then provide good watering and fertilizing to reinvigorate the tree.