The Q&A Archives: blue arrow juniper

Question: I needed some tall narrow evergreens for the wall of my courtyard for some visual against the brick wall and some height. I got three blue arrows. They are very pretty but I was surprised that their branches are actuallu quite wide but they grow up against the tree. Some of them are kind of flapping around. We have a lot of wind here in Kansas and it has been really bad this year. Can I trim them or would that not be a good idea?

Answer: Junipers do not handle heavy pruning, so if you cut back a branch you will then have a bare stub where you cut it. Junipers normally are stiff and self supporting, so I am wondering if yours are possibly in too much shade and becoming weaker as a result. Or, sometimes ice or snow loads can cause a branch to break. (If they are broken you will have to cut them to remove the damaged portion.) You might try a supporting network of twine wrapped in a spiral from top to bottom on the shrubs. You will need to check the twine every month and make sure it is not binding and damaging the bark. I hope this helps.