The Q&A Archives: looking for a dark reddish purple saucer magnolia

Question: There are several mature magnolias in my neighborhood with dark reddish purple petals outside, white inside. They bloom before the leaves come out with wide petals. The flowers have a

Answer: I think you are seeing Magnolia soulangiana, either the species or a cultivar of it. The mature trees do tend to take on a slightly cascading look and the blooms are darker pink outside pale pink to white inside. There are many cultivars. Here is some information about it and photos: (You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.)

Here is the Monrovia catalog description: Beautiful lawn tree with huge, saucer-shaped white blooms, pink on outside, on bare branches in late winter into early spring. Spectacular show on spreading, multi-trunked form. Terrific anchor or frame plant for landscapes. Deciduous. Full sun. Fast grower to 20 to 25 feet tall, 25 to 30 feet wide; smaller as a shrub. Cutting grown.

Your local nurseries should carry some, if not you might try mail order. Here are some mail order nurseries that might have a selection:

(These are listed in no particular order.)

Greer Gardens

Fairweather Gardens

Best of luck with your search!