The Q&A Archives: Invasive Perennial?

Question: Two years ago I purchased ONE Chinese Lantern plant. Is this an invasive perennial as it has sprouted up all over the place. I have tried to control it and/or remove all of it but it seems hopeless. What should/can I do? Do people just let it take over their gardens or what? This plant is nuts. It should be banned!

Answer: Those lovely orange lanterns contain viable seeds and if you don't cut off the lanterns at the end of the season, all the seeds drop to the ground where they can sprout. I control the plants by harvesting the flowers (along with some of the stems) and hanging them up to dry. They are wonderful in dried flower arrangements! To gain control of your yard again, pull up the seedlings as they sprout and be sure to cut off the flowers at the end of the summer before the lanterns deteriorate and drop the seeds.