The Q&A Archives: worms eating oak leaves

Question: I have an Oak tree and have noticed several branches with no leaves, upon closer inspection, there are small worms/catipillars eating leaves.
What can I do?

Answer: Troy,

Those worms are either Oak Leaf Rollers or Cankerworms. They generally do not do much damage to the tree as the tree can grow new leaves back, and the caterpillars will be gone soon if they are not already going away. Therefore my suggestion is to do nothing. If you want to spray and have equipment that can adequately spray up into a tree the safest control option is a product containing the ingredient B.t. or Bacillus thuringiensis. There are several such products available over the counter at retail garden centers. But again, I don't think spraying is necessary in this case.