The Q&A Archives: Improving Sandy Soil

Question: I have mainly sand in my backyard and that is where I planted my tomatoes. When is there too much sand and not enough soil and what CAN I plant in mostly sandy conditions? I live in Florida and could grow vegetables all year if I wanted to.

Answer: I don't think there is such a thing as too much sand . In practice, though, having only sand as a medium to grow vegetables in means having to fertilize and water more, usually lots more. With the right amount of water and food, you can grow virtuallyany vegetable you want. But my advice is to begin adding organic matter to your sand. Lots of organic matter. Start a compost pile, ask your neighbors for lawn clippings, buy bags of peat moss or soil conditioner, grow a green manure (cover crop tilled under), and cover the ground with mulch. Organic matter is almost magical, providing a sponge for water, moderating nutrient levels, releasing beneficial humic acids into the sand, and keeping temperature levels at optimum. Organic matter in your sand will free you from having to water too much or worry about how much, how often, and what kind of fertilizer to use.