The Q&A Archives: Spider Juniper

Question: I had the juniper planted for a year and just recently took it from the ground and put it in a large pot. It has plenty of water and partial sun. It appears to be dying as it has turned brown and the needles are dead. Is there any hope of regenerating? If so, do you have any suggestions? Thank you for your time, Stacie Demo

Answer: Newly transplanted shrubs can display symptoms of stress and browning needles is a classic sign. I don't know whether the root system was compromised when you dug the juniper so I can't predict whether or not the plant will recover. I'd treat it as though it were healthy - water as needed (plants in containers can dry out quickly) and move it to a spot where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade until it recovers. Let's hope that will be soon!