The Q&A Archives: Mock Orange shrub - Philadelphus x virginalis

Question: Why hasn't my mock orange shrub ever flowered since it was planted in 2003? It was grown by Monrovia Nurseries. It is planted in a sunny location. Was planted following all the instructions given in booklet. I am hoping that it will flower this spring. Was fed with Scott's 10-10-10 flower & vegetable fertilizer. Is currently in leaf, and I inspect it daily, to see if flowers are emerging. At what point do the flowers emerge. I have two Dwarf Minnesota Snowflake Mock Orange, purchased and planted the same time, as the Philadelphus x Virginalis, and they flower every Spring. They are planted in a location that gets less sun, filtered afternoon light. I am beginning to think that the larger shrub should also be sited in this same border, although the plant tag specified

Answer: Your Mock Orange prefers full sunshine and should flower after the new leaves emerge. You didn't say whether or not your shrub is producing new leaves - they are slow growing and the leaves emerge in a rosette, quickly followed by fragrant flowers. If your Mock Orange is not producing new leaves, try pruning it back to encourage new growth. If it is producing new leaves each spring, it simply needs to mature a bit more. Hold off on fertilizer until it finally does flower; too much nitrogen fertilizer can result in lots of green growth at the expense of flowers.

Best wishes with your Mock Orange.