The Q&A Archives: White Pine Repair

Question: Hello,

A little over a year ago, a large branch of a white pine in my yard split under the weight of damp, heavy snow. Since removing the branch would have left a very large bare spot and would have severely disfigured the tree, I decided to try to repair it.

I had read that a tree that splits can sometimes be bolted together. So I used deck screws to repair the split. I then wrapped the repaired area with burlap and wire.

I was delighted to find that the split branch has survived without any damage. The branch continues to thrive.

I wonder whether I should leave the screws in the branch? They protrude through the branch a bit. I suspect that removing the screws would leave holes in the branch that could allow disease organisms to invade. I removed the burlap and the wire but have left the screws alone.

Thanks for your help.

Answer: That's quite a story! I think I agree with you and would leave them where they are. Best of luck with your tree!