The Q&A Archives: lodense privet hedge

Question: I have a lodense privet hedge. The height is 18-24 inches and the width is approximately 20 inches. I need to replace about 40 feet and our Garden Center can only get bare root at a height of 3 feet or more. What are my alternatives?

Answer: You could certainly plant the taller bare root privets and trim them back. Generally, a new privet hedge is trimmed back short repeatedly during the first few years to encourage it to grow dense at the base. So, this would not be a hardship for the plants at all.

Alternatively I suppose you could root tip cuttings from your existing plants and grow your own, but they would take a lot longer to match your existing hedge than using the three footers would.

The other thought I have is depending on why you have to replace such a long run of hedge, if there was a lighting/drainage/disease/pest problem that could affect your replacements, you might want to look into using something other than privet rather than replanting with the same thing. I hope this helps.