The Q&A Archives: Lilacs in Jacksonville, FL

Question: I bought a Lavrnder Lady, #1238, and the zone listed was 3-8. I went back to the nursery and saw they had Big Blue, # 7218, and it's zone was listed as 4-9. Should I take my Lavender Lady and exchange her for Big Blue or are the chances of success the same ?? I live in Jacksonville, Florida.

Answer: Gene,

I think either lilac will perform about the same. The cold zone range is not really a factor when you get to the lower end of the range. It is heat zone that matters in this case. You are in heat zone 9 and the lilacs are generally rated to about heat zone 8. Thus they will really suffer in your long hot summers. To give your plant its best chance provide morning sun and afternoon shade. Mulch the soil surface and keep the soil moist without overwatering as good drainage is important.