The Q&A Archives: Frozen tops of Italian Cypress

Question: I planted seven 3' tall blue Italian Cypress last fall and the top 3 to 4 inches of all seven are brown, possibly from frost. We had a few winter nights that reached about 20 degrees. Will the Cypress continue to grow upward? Should I trim off the dead tips?

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what is happening with your Italian Cypresses. That amount of cold alone without other factors should not have killed them back at the tips; they can handle substantially lower temperatures than 20F as they hardy into zone 7. I would suggest you consult with your retailer to try to troubleshoot the problem and based on that decide what to do. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you. Good luck with your cypresses!