The Q&A Archives: Sudden Oak Death symtoms on Camellia.

Question: I have a Camellia 'Survivor' that I purchased from Waterloo Gardens in Exton PA. I'm sure it was carried over from 2004 and have noticed some black spotting that developed on the leaves over winter. Small spots only appear on the upper surface of the leaf, but larger spots can penetrate through the leaf and become visible on the underside as well. The oldest leaves seem most affected. Some areas appear to have slightly broader brown areas (almost like sunscald), but this only appears on the upper leaf surface.

I have heard that Monrovia had some issues with some Camellias being infected with the sudden oak death disease and was hoping if I could gain some more information on the exact symptoms of this disease on camellias and if I should suspect mine as being infected or not. This is my first Camellia so I am not sure if this is just a typical fungal spotting or signs of Sudden Oak Death.

Thank you,

Michael Raywood.

Answer: It is difficult to diagnose leaf spots long distance. I would suggest you contact your county extension to obtain a specific diagnosis of the leaf spots on your camellia. They may appreciate photos of the overall plant and closeups of the affected leaves, as well as possibly a freshly cut sample enclosed in a clear plastic bag and kept cool so it stays fresh. If it is something that requires a chemical control, they will be able to give you the most up to date recommendations on what to use and how/when to use it for best results. I hope it's nothing too serious.