The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus

Question: I bought a hibcius last year and it did okay. I live in Michigan and I did not take in indoors for the winter. Now it is spring and it looks dead. The branches look hollow and there is no life left. My question is.. what should I do?

Answer: There are two commonly grown types of hibiscus - tropical and hardy. Tropical hibiscus won't survive outdoors in your area but hardy hibiscus will survive temperatures of -20 providing the soil doesn't get soggy during the winter months and providing you placed a protective mulch over the root system prior to winter's arrival. Cut back the dead branches and wait to see if the roots produce new shoots. If new growth doesn't appear in 3-4 weeks, you'll need to replace your hibiscus.