The Q&A Archives: Pruning And Fertilization Of Lilacs

Question: I have a "old fashioned Lilac" or thats what they told me it flowered last year, but we had a last freeze that killed all the flowers. My question is what is the proper way to prune it? I now this might be considered a multiple question but whenand what should I feed it?

Answer: Sorry to hear about the freeze. We had a late freeze in my area last year that ruined the show for several things in my yard. Sounds like you would have had great bloom if not for the cold. Regarding pruning, after bloom, trim out crowded, dead or weak branches, and each year, do maintenance pruning (1/4-1/3 of the oldest wood each year). I recommend fertilizing your lilac each spring with an inch of compost around the perimeter of the bush out to the drip line to keep the shrubs in shape, they really don't need more fertilizer than that..