The Q&A Archives: Blue chip juniper match

Question: Hi
I love your plants. Could you recommend a nice tree or upright shrub that will go well with about 5 blue chip junipers I am planting next to a driveway near the sidewalk (inside a bed with mulch)
Thank you for your help

Answer: There are many different plants you could use for this. You might like a flowering tree such as Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star' or perhaps a plant with good fall color such as burning bush (Euonymus alatus 'Compactus' will grow quite tall if left untrimmed) or perhaps one of the hardier varieties of crepe myrtle. Another option might be an ornamental grass. Keep in mind that the junipers really need full sun to do well and the taller plant might shade them eventually. Your local professional nursery staff should be able to show you a selection of plants that would grow well there.