The Q&A Archives: Gardening In Containers

Question: I would like to plant some vegetables in containers and some in a reqular garden. For containers I had tomatoes in mind but was wondering if they would do better in a regular vegetable garden. I planted tomatoes last year against the wall of our cementhouse and had a bumper crop. Did the soil pH make the difference in the harvest?

Answer: Most garden vegetables will adapt to growing in containers. Use commercial potting mix rather than soil from the garden in your pots. Garden soil becomes too compacted and is difficult to water, where potting soil is light, retains moisture, and makes iteasy for plant roots to penetrate. An average pH is all that's required for tomatoes. Your plants produced a bumper crop because of the reflected heat of the cement of your house. They responded to the heat retained by the concrete that was given offat night. You created a microclimate in your garden and the plants thought they were in the tropics!