The Q&A Archives: Lady Banks

Question: About two weeks ago, I bought and planted a Lady Banks rose and loosely attached it to a trellis. Now most of the blooms have fallen off or look brown. The leaves still look OK, but I am afraid the plant is going downhill. What can I do now and will it bloom some more? Thanks so much.
Nancy Wrangham

Answer: It sounds as though your new Lady Banks is going through a little transplant shock. As soon as the root system gets established it should perk up. It's normal for the old blossoms to brown and drop off. You can prune away anything that looks dead or unsightly. This plant flowers on new growth so as it develops new stems, they should produce flowers. Be a little patient with your new plant and it will eventually reward you with lots of lush green growth and lots of pretty flowers.