The Q&A Archives: Propagating Blueberries

Question: I have a blueberry bush that produces the best berries. I've forgotten the name and I'd like to propagate more of this variety. What's the best way?

Answer: A simple way to propagate blueberry bushes is to mound layer a few of the new basal shoots. Next spring, cut out one or two old canes from the mother blueberry plant, which will stimulate the bush to send up some new shoots. As the shoots grow, mound soil over them so only one inch of each shoot is above ground. Continue mounding it up as the shoot grows until the soil is 6 to 8 inches high. In September, gently remove the soil from the shoots by rinsing the mound with water, taking care not to damage any of the new roots that have sprouted along the covered stem. Cut off a new shoot below where the roots have formed and plant the new blueberry bush in its permanent location.