The Q&A Archives: Iron Deficiency in Shrubs?

Question: I have a Crepe Myrtle shrubs and Sweet Olive shrubs that have leaves that are turning yellow with veins dark green. I am wondering if Miracle Grow (for acid-loving plants) will help. Could this be iron deficiency? My back yard is more rock than soil! I am having a hard time establishing anything to maturity when it comes to shrubs. Please advise!

Answer: Cyndy,

It may well help fix that problem. If after a couple of weeks you see no improvement, try purchasing an iron chelate product or an iron supplement and follow label directions for application to the soil. Iron deficiency shows up a yellowing of new growth as opposed to older leaves farther down the stem. Often in mild cases the veins remain green as the remainder of the leaf turns yellow.