The Q&A Archives: California Lilacs (Syringa Vulgaris)

Question: I purchased my lilac bush (now a tree) from Descando Gardens in Arcadia CA. It has bloomed annually for me (some years yielding more lilac blooms than others). But this year it has remained totally dormant. It is alive and green, but the buds have not opened. By this time the end of April I have a full, green tree with blooms. What could be the problem? Thank you.

Answer: I think your lilac knows best. Leafing out is triggered by weather and your lilac just doesn't think it's quite warm enough to leaf out. As long as the branches are alive and buds are fat and healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will perform when it's ready. In the meantime, you'll just have to exercise some patience. Enjoy those fragrant blossoms - when they finally do unfold!