The Q&A Archives: Tree with Roots Showin in Front Yard.

Question: Hello. There is a tree in my front yard. I noticed that the roots are becoming visible and therefore, I cannot seem to grow and even lawn with green grass. Help. Is my house in danger in the coming years?

Answer: Some trees such as maples tend to develop surface roots as the tree matures. This is natural and there is nothing you can do to stop it without harming the tree. Typically grass will not grow well in competition with the surface roots, it is also usually just too dry and shady there under the tree for healthy lawn grass. So, you may want to consider using a groundcover there instead of trying to grow lawn as that will become increasingly difficult over time.

As far as the house being in danger, it depends how large the tree is, how healthy it is, and how close it is to your house. If it is a reasonable distance away, the roots should not bother the foundation. There is a possibility though that if there is already a problem with the foundation or any underground pipes that the roots will find that imperfection and make it worse. If you are concerned, you might consult with your county extension or a professionally trained and certified arborist about the tree.