The Q&A Archives: yellow leaves on my newly planted mimosa tree

Question: I just bought one of your mimosa trees (quite small) The leaves on the lower branches are starting to turn yellow. I was told to water for 30min a day, every this too much? I live in San Antonio, TX where the ground is like clay (low drainage) but it is really hot every day. Please let me know what I can do to help my little tree.

Answer: Eliesa,

That may be too much water depending on the amount that is applied in a 30 minute period by your watering system and the type of soil and its ability to drain well or not. I suspect you are overwatering the tree. It is not unusual for a plant to be stressed when planted during warm conditions. Root injury, dry roots, or soggy wet conditions can all create problem that show up as yellowing, browning and dropping of the leaves. Dig down a few inches around the plant and feel the soil to see if it is moist or not. Water only when it is starting to dry out a little.