The Q&A Archives: windblock

Question: How do I make a windblock out of colorado spruce and what should I plant with them? How far apart and how far from house?

Answer: The most effective windblocks are planted with several different types of plants and are fairly wide (or deep) as a result. Plant selection would depending on the amount of space you have a available for the planting, the level of wind exposure you are trying to combat, and the overall space to be protected as well as your expected winter low temperatures and the soil type and soil moisture levels where you are planting. I would suggest you work with your local county extension to develop a plan based on your specific situation. In the meantime, you may find the following information helpful in starting your planning. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

For a rural property

I hope this helps!