The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maples

Question: I live in Michigan and would like to plant a Japanese Maple at my home. However, I am concerned with the cold winters and hot summers that a Japanese Maple may not be a good choice. The location in which I'm planning on planting the Japanese Maple in will have minimal protection from the wind and sun (full sun area). Is there any reccommendation on the type of Japanese Maple that I should plant that would thrive in this type of location? Thank You for your help.

Answer: Japanese maples are hardy in your growing region but they need shade from hot afternoon sunshine and protection from wind or their leaves will look tattered and torn. The site you describe isn't really suitable for Japanese maples, but might be good for a paperbark maple (Acer griseum), Dogwood, European Hornbeam, Redbud, or a white birch. Best wishes with your landscape!