The Q&A Archives: Mediterranean Pink (and White) Heaths

Question: I investigated the Mediterranean Pink and White Heath shrubs (Erica x
Darleyensis) and learned they required full sun. When I went to purchase these
evergreens, I was told that they required partial sun. The location I want to
plant them in, the front of my house, has severe full sun all day long. Is this
too much for these plants? I am in the Philadelphia, PA area.

Thanks for your guidance,

Answer: This plant is listed as full to partial sun. The dilemma is that while it needs sun to bloom well, it does not do as well in hot and humid summers. So a site in morning only sun is a good compromise for getting ample light without excessive summer heat. I would not recommend it for all day direct sun in your area. It also needs a site that is perfectly drained but does not totally dry out, has protection from winter winds, and good air circulation. The soil should also be acidic. These are difficult conditions to provide in your area as the soil tends to be on the heavy side and summers are so humid. I would defer to your local nursery's professionally trained staff -- be sure to talk to their perennials expert for the best local advice. Good luck with whatever you select!