The Q&A Archives: Non blooming viburnum

Question: I have a 3-4 year old chino viburnum which has never bloomed, can you tell me if this is a matter of age or a problem with fertilizer ,etc, plant is healthy about 5 ft tall and no disease.I am on the outer banks of North Carolina, purchased it at Nature's Harmony in Mann's Harbor. I am pretty sure that this is the correct name I bought another viburnum

Answer: Based on your description, as long as it seems healthy and is growing well, I suspect it is a matter of age and maturity. Chindo is reputed to be slow to bloom in some cases, so all you can do is be patient. You might also check and see if there are flower buds on the plant in the fall; if so and then there is no bloom, it might be a case of winter wind exposure or oscillating temperatures damaging the buds. If that is the case, a wind break or more sheltered location might help. I hope it blooms for you soon!